Sunday, December 16, 2012

Reverence for Animals

I love the reverence for animals learned on a farm.  Its hard to define, but easier to define the extremes it counters.

On the left we have worshippers of animals.  And even on this side of the scale there is a scale - actual worship all the way to pushing a dog in a stroller (seen it).  The most extreme is the unnatural state of vegetarianism.  Its beyond my pay grade to describe this.  Some on this side still eat meat, and would wince if they saw us processing our chickens here, yet remaining willfully unknowing of the disgusting, unjust factory creatures that live a miserable life before they make it to their plate or paper bag.

On the right we have those that have no regard for life.  Filthy conditions or abuse - no matter, all things are for me and are unimportant because I have un-valued them.  Grow them in confinement, beat 'em... what ev', just gimme mine.  These people also fight dogs.

In the middle is the reverent farmer.  Hank, the cowboy down the road is a great example.  He loves and cherishes each and every cow, ensures their constant well-being and even follows them to the butcher to make sure they are not put into a panic at any point.  But he does send them to the butcher.



My daughter delightfully walks around with a chick in here hand all the time.  She also participates in processing them and eating them.  You see, she's living in reality.  The extremists above are disconnected from real life and unable to properly form a conscience towards animals, over or under exaggerated.  (This is not all to be sure.  Many suburbanites are quite balanced, but blog posts and reasonably timed conversations benefit from generalities - the general kind.)

5 comments:

  1. I think perhaps you should be more humble in your judgment of others. There are lots or reasons for being vegetarian from the purely pragmatic to the deeply religious, and there are many arguments in favor of ethical vegetarianism both ancient and modern. Personally I was raised on a farm and I have helped kill many animals, both live stock and wild game. These days I work for a group of vegetable farmers who also raise meat animals. I have been a vegetarian for 15 years with the exception of wild game, which meant no meat at all for the 10 years I lived in towns. I have known several farmers who themselves were vegetarians or vegans. I'm glad you've found a sense of connection to your food and the plants and animals that become it, but there is no need to disparage others especially when you haven't even listened to what is behind their choices.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good point. Thanks Zeb - will remember.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was a strict vegan for years. I just couldnt stand meat in several pregnancies...There are many that suffer from grain and wheat allergies that can not even eat chicken or eggs due to that. I know several like that..Same goes for us regarding dairy, we have serious allergies. I would LOVE it if I didnt have to live with food allergies with my children, it is very expensive. Even raw milk (I can not stand it myself) I know how animals are processed...I still rarely eat chicken or turkey..I still do not eat cow :) I can not personally consume another mammal...its the momma in me that nurses ;). God made me with these feelings and I can not help it..Yep I am a bit extreme...and I am Thankful God made me this way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fraternus blog posts need to look more like this: playful, concise, poignant.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Actually it is not unnatural to be vegetarian. God didn't allow man to eat meat until after the flood. So the original farmers, Adam and Eve, were vegetarian. I'm sorry, but killing is not a natural thing for anyone I think. Allowable by God and permitted in this case but not truly natural.

    ReplyDelete